Maintaining health blood sugar levels is important for everyone, but especially for those suffering from diabetes. While rest and exercise play an important role, there are also several foods that can help you stay balanced:
Best Superfoods For Diabetics
• Berries – blueberries, cranberries, strawberries – any berry you choose is a great choice.
• Kale (dark green leafy vegetables) – there’s a reason why this dark green vegetable is so popular these days. They are low calorie, low carb, and vitamin rich!
• Low-fat milk – a couple of daily servings of skim or 1% milk contain the lactose and protein to help fill you up and slow down digestion.
• Nuts – not only are they great for snacks, nuts are also filling and a great source of fiber and unsaturated fats.
• Fish – as long as it is not breaded or fried, salmon, halibut and tuna are good sources for those omega-3 fatty acids your heart needs.
• Sweet Potatoes – a great healthier alternative for potato lovers, sweet potatoes are a good source of fiber, too.
• Whole grains – bread is fine, as long as it is whole grain. White bread causes blood sugar spikes and the inevitable crash.
• Beans – protein, fiber, and nutrients are all packaged into this easy-to-eat, slow to digest food that helps control the blood sugar increase after a meal.
• Lemons – added to your water, sprinkled on your fish, or included on your salads, lemons are a great option for slowing down food digestion and controlling blood sugar increases after eating.
Help Treating Diabetic Symptoms
If you have any questions about what else you can do to help keep your blood sugar or your diabetes in check, please feel free to call or stop into one of our AppleCare clinics to speak with a healthcare provider.